It is certain that the definition of success or failure is determined by the initial expectations one has for a venture.
Coming from the perfect world of VR’s to the messy and imperfect world of matter is bound to be a difficult transition, especially if you are a bit of a perfectionist, as I am. Coupled with my eternal optimism I did tend towards the idea that if I could think it, I could do it. Well, life is somewhat trickier than that and I have had a few things to come to grips with.
Please don’t think that I don’t love the whole process, because I do. The very self-educational process has always been the primary reason for doing arty stuff, the actual product I have always seen as a bit of a by-product of the process…. one reason why I have always held firm in the idea that the total number of visitors to a sim is no indication of anything except traffic.
So, with 32 components needed to make up my latest lampscape project it is only to be expected that some of them will cause me the greatest trouble while others will just appear, almost like rezzing prims.
My greatest problem so far is an egg shaped former I am planning to use as a former for the canopy. My idea is to cast a wax egg and form the canopy around it so that I can then melt the wax and leave a hollow canopy with no ‘joins’. This has proved interesting and frustrating.
Firstly, sculpting a perfect egg is a very tricky thing, it’s a demanding object as the eye can spot any deviations from the ‘true’ form very easily. Used to just rezzing spheres and stretching them a little in VRs has only enhanced my eye for imperfections. So… leaving that aside I decided to mould and then cast the more or less egg that I have sculpted. Here my poor mould-making skills have been shown up somewhat but I have sort of struggled though, knowing that by the 32nd mould I will be quite good at all this.
The egg saga continues, however, as wax shrinks on cooling and tends to pull the rubber inner mould away from the outer support mould. I read that beeswax doesn’t shrink, so I got some. The thing is, it does. Never believe what you read on the internet. Anyway… 2 moulds and 7 pours later I am still no nearer to solving this one, but I like a challenge… it is becoming a quest.
On the more ‘success’ side I have moved on with the base and the lilly pads and pitcher plants so that they may well be ripe for moulding next weekend. Below is my first test pour of the trunk in clear resin and my first trials with the glass paints which are a real bugger.
Glass paints are like nail varnish and you know what a sod that can be. A fair amount of trialling and experimentation will be necessary to come up with a respectable texture using something which globs up and runs and dissolves the underlying coat. Luckily cellulose thinners do give you the option of cleaning it all off and starting again.
This is a test texture for the rock too, but I have since come up with a much better one and I have successfully poured my first rock from my mould in resin, so that just needs a bit of repairs and is ready to paint, my first RL prim.
When I was making jewellery I came up with the idea that flaws in the perfect surface need to be removed “if they detract from the overall enjoyment” so, I guess that is my benchmark of success and failure. One is on one side of that line, the other not so.