Update..

My last post left the whole thing a bit hanging in the air… and so, to finish the story… yes, I did get the photos printed up. I went to a nearby town and found a photo lab that had machines that worked and a one hour service. I had a coffee, picked up my photos and the memory stick I carried them on, and went home, sent off the submission to the Open Show and got on with the remedial works….

Now, as the photos aren’t that good and as the piece itself isn’t exactly the normal sort of entry .. the chances of it being selected for a viewing are fairly remote. It’s a gamble, and as we know, sometimes they pay off … but mostly the bookies win. So, apart from the entry fee, photos and postage I won’t be putting too much emotional investment on my luck [my luck is not uncommonly good or bad, just average, normally].

I am already working on Plan B and looking at furniture and lighting shops in the capital as well as local art galleries…. but it is all on hold until I get the piece finished. That will involve recasting some pieces, a spot of touch-up painting and trying to improve the lighting, so there’s plenty to be getting on with.

It was a bit of a “shall I?/shan’t I?” because I knew the piece wasn’t ready, still that’s the value of deadlines, it sort of focuses the mind. It also induces mistakes … and I just spent 3 days scraping silicone rubber of some resin because I didn’t give it long enough to cure (partly because of the photos I needed and partly because I’m impatient and using the deadline as an excuse for my mistake).

Learning that I am impatient is not really a great revelation, I knew that before. What I did learn though is that it doesn’t matter how much you think things through if it is your first time using a new medium you have no experience and insufficient data to compute the outcome. That means in plain English that you are going to cock up more than you expect. A valuable lesson.

So, now I am going to set my brain to work on packaging and presentation while I repeat the previous steps and rectify my mistakes. The overall design and manufacture though has gone relatively well, if slow, and I’m giving myself about 80%, which isn’t bad at all.

Which brings me back to Wizzy’s comment … ““….a painting is never finished, only abandoned.” Leonardo da Vinci said” … so true. Well, I’m not abandoning anything just yet and as the pressure is now off, I can take my time polishing up that last 20%…. well, 10 to 15% at least.

One more (very blurry) construction photo I like…of my bamboo scaffolding I used to hold things in place while I poured the “lake”….

Hong Kong builders would be proud of me…

 

:)))

Advertisements

4 Comments

Filed under stuff

4 responses to “Update..

  1. too bad you had to deal with that pesky gravity. wish sometimes you could just turn it off. i have two paintings that i have abandoned several times and i keep going back and messing with. it becomes harder to mess with if you sign and date it (but there are still ways of getting around that). ;-)

  2. Love the lashings :D

    Doing the same myself; went back to the forest for practice pieces that won’t work as finished ones (too short, broken bits, etc) because fine sanding can take out the markings I like to work with & it’s been quite awhile since I did woodwork-as-canvas.

    For the photo issue, I highly recommend a good tripod – they can be had occasionally in secondhand shops & make a big difference with interior lighting/closeups.

  3. jayjay zifanwe

    hey soror… why are you leaving out important details. what type of coffee was it :)

  4. penelope

    I love it and i am following what you do :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s