My latest piece of woodwork, a box with hidden compartments.
It’s mainly American white oak with English yew bands and a bit of Sumach decoration. The pins are all walnut. It’s loosely based on a Japanese toolbox and old ammo boxes.
It’s made for Birk my grandson [who took the photo].
The varnish has specks of luminescent stuff that show up after dark.
The Yew was photoed in my last post and will make up the bulk of my next side table which I have started on, I just have to finish a new knife for my other grandson and then I’ll be free to concentrate on some proper furniture making.
Too hot to stay in the workshop this week, but hopefully I’ll get something done before Wimbledon….
I have been working on this table for quite a while now and finally, after ages getting the legs “just right”, I got around the doing the inlay I had been planning over the Christmas period.
Because it’s all done by hand the inlay was quite thick. I had cut up a very ugly African mask I bought at a boot-fair into strips about 5-7 mm thick. The holly was from a tree I cut down locally. (The holly stains quite quickly so you have to dry it fast) …
Anyway it all turned out quite well, the only slight problem being the ebony which tended to colour the glue I used on the holly making the glue look brown. The joints are all pretty good though so it’s not very noticeable.
I’ve just got hold of a couple of old logs of Yew for my next project and I’ve made a start on them too…
All good here though, apart from the cold…
It’s been ages since I posted anything about my workshop projects apart from a few photos of my wild plum slabs which are currently drying and warping and splitting at this moment in time. Not unsurprising when you try to dry something too fast…. should create an interesting set of problems later in the year….
I have finished the first of a number of smaller projects which are ‘on the bench’ at the moment, namely my posh bird table.
I’ve cobbled this together with bits of reclaimed oak along with a few newer pieces, using slate for the roof.
I’ve managed to use pegs rather than screws, mostly, as I’m pretty sure that the weather and bird poo will subject it to quite a bit of stress …[if bird tables ever get stressed]. Which is why I chose solid oak rather than anything fancy.
The pole it sits on is just a cherry laurel post I had hanging around and will obviously rot but the peg connecting the two pieces is Australian Ironwood which is, not surprisingly, hard as iron. It should be a simple process to replace the pole when it’s time is up.
I’m also working on another Tiger Oak box with an oriental ‘style’ which should be appearing on these pages soon … and one or two other bits and bobs.
Anyway … back to work..