My latest piece of woodwork, a box with hidden compartments.
It’s mainly American white oak with English yew bands and a bit of Sumach decoration. The pins are all walnut. It’s loosely based on a Japanese toolbox and old ammo boxes.
It’s made for Birk my grandson [who took the photo].
The varnish has specks of luminescent stuff that show up after dark.
The Yew was photoed in my last post and will make up the bulk of my next side table which I have started on, I just have to finish a new knife for my other grandson and then I’ll be free to concentrate on some proper furniture making.
Too hot to stay in the workshop this week, but hopefully I’ll get something done before Wimbledon….
I have been working on this table for quite a while now and finally, after ages getting the legs “just right”, I got around the doing the inlay I had been planning over the Christmas period.
Because it’s all done by hand the inlay was quite thick. I had cut up a very ugly African mask I bought at a boot-fair into strips about 5-7 mm thick. The holly was from a tree I cut down locally. (The holly stains quite quickly so you have to dry it fast) …
Anyway it all turned out quite well, the only slight problem being the ebony which tended to colour the glue I used on the holly making the glue look brown. The joints are all pretty good though so it’s not very noticeable.
I’ve just got hold of a couple of old logs of Yew for my next project and I’ve made a start on them too…
All good here though, apart from the cold…
Nearly 3 years ago I started on the refurbishment of an old dough bowl I bought at a bootfair.
I started off carving it out a bit
Then gave it a bit of paint
It’s a design I had wanted to make out of glass but I would have needed a lot of machinery and so, it didn’t happen.
It’s Ok in wood, and I’m glad to have finished off another of those “little projects” that can quickly fill a workshop..
Design isn’t always straightforward, some things need to sit on the workbench as one of many possible solutions rises to the surface of the Possibilities Stew. When it finally does emerge it can necessitate a whole bunch of different decisions … and this can take a bit more contemplation. This is one of those things that took it’s time to complete.
The joints using mini bamboo pins reminded me of stitching, I’ve never seen it before, but it work well for this piece.
I’m very happy with the result, I like the balance of the overall piece.
The inside is almost impossible to photograph, The “Power of Creativity” symbol [first sign in the I-Ching] is done in a blue/green glitter and then a layer of clear epoxy was poured over to create a sort of black mirror. The sides are in a rippled epoxy finish. It just reflects your face when you look in…. or the camera when you try to photograph it.
Anyway, I have another piece I’m just finishing off that has also taken ages … more of that next week.