My latest piece of woodwork, a box with hidden compartments.
It’s mainly American white oak with English yew bands and a bit of Sumach decoration. The pins are all walnut. It’s loosely based on a Japanese toolbox and old ammo boxes.
It’s made for Birk my grandson [who took the photo].
The varnish has specks of luminescent stuff that show up after dark.
The Yew was photoed in my last post and will make up the bulk of my next side table which I have started on, I just have to finish a new knife for my other grandson and then I’ll be free to concentrate on some proper furniture making.
Too hot to stay in the workshop this week, but hopefully I’ll get something done before Wimbledon….
Design isn’t always straightforward, some things need to sit on the workbench as one of many possible solutions rises to the surface of the Possibilities Stew. When it finally does emerge it can necessitate a whole bunch of different decisions … and this can take a bit more contemplation. This is one of those things that took it’s time to complete.
The joints using mini bamboo pins reminded me of stitching, I’ve never seen it before, but it work well for this piece.
I’m very happy with the result, I like the balance of the overall piece.
The inside is almost impossible to photograph, The “Power of Creativity” symbol [first sign in the I-Ching] is done in a blue/green glitter and then a layer of clear epoxy was poured over to create a sort of black mirror. The sides are in a rippled epoxy finish. It just reflects your face when you look in…. or the camera when you try to photograph it.
Anyway, I have another piece I’m just finishing off that has also taken ages … more of that next week.
It’s been ages since I posted anything about my workshop projects apart from a few photos of my wild plum slabs which are currently drying and warping and splitting at this moment in time. Not unsurprising when you try to dry something too fast…. should create an interesting set of problems later in the year….
I have finished the first of a number of smaller projects which are ‘on the bench’ at the moment, namely my posh bird table.
I’ve cobbled this together with bits of reclaimed oak along with a few newer pieces, using slate for the roof.
I’ve managed to use pegs rather than screws, mostly, as I’m pretty sure that the weather and bird poo will subject it to quite a bit of stress …[if bird tables ever get stressed]. Which is why I chose solid oak rather than anything fancy.
The pole it sits on is just a cherry laurel post I had hanging around and will obviously rot but the peg connecting the two pieces is Australian Ironwood which is, not surprisingly, hard as iron. It should be a simple process to replace the pole when it’s time is up.
I’m also working on another Tiger Oak box with an oriental ‘style’ which should be appearing on these pages soon … and one or two other bits and bobs.
Anyway … back to work..